Facebook sharing and episode update

Enigmatic Anomalies

28 Jan, 2014 12:53 AM

Hi,
I had an important misspelling in the description of one of my episodes. This was discovered AFTER I started sharing it to Facebook.
I went in and made the edit and correction on the episode but every subsequent share I make from the Spreaker website to Facebook still has the misspelling in the description.
HOW DO I FIX THIS!!

1. 1 Posted by Enigmatic Anoma... on 28 Jan, 2014 12:56 AM

I've even tried going in and deleting the entire description but when I click share it still has the old description in place....

2. 2 Posted by Marco on 28 Jan, 2014 03:28 PM

Hello,
    this weird behavior is caused by Facebook sharing cache.

The first time you share an URL on Facebook, Facebook reads all data from such URL (ie. image, description, ...). This data is saved internally on Facebook and re-used everytime you will share the same URL.

This means that if you change any episode data after the first time you share the URL on Facebook, Facebook will not fetch updated episode data anymore, but will use the old data instead. This is very annoying, but unfortunately it's how Facebook sharing works.

There's a trick you can do to manually share your URL. If you add a parameter to the URL you will get a new URL that doesn't match anymore with the previous one, but refers to the same page. For example, given the original URL:

http://www.spreaker.com/user/enigmaticanomalies/episode-12-andrea-perron-the-conjuring

you can add the parameter:

http://www.spreaker.com/user/enigmaticanomalies/episode-12-andrea-perron-the-conjuring?v=2

and then share the modified URL.

Sorry if I've been too much techy.

Marco

3. 3 Posted by Enigmatic Anoma... on 28 Jan, 2014 04:33 PM

Awesome! That's a very good idea. Not too techy at all.
    Something inside was telling me it was a Facebook issue.
    The problem now is that if I change the URL, all the links that I have sent out to promote the show over the past couple of days will no longer be valid.
    I think at this point I am going to leave it as is but it's good to know if I run into that problem again.
    Thank you so much!

4. Marco closed this discussion on 28 Jan, 2014 04:47 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Spreaker please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac